It is Christmas eve and I just made (in my humble opinion) the best espresso with an Aeropress.
If your in the mood for some espresso or a latte, try this recipe out. It’s great for cold winter days and for the holiday season. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Although this is not ‘true espresso’, this will get you is a very delicious cup of espresso-like result which you can have straight, or add water to dilute it to have something like an americano or make a milk drink like a cafe latte.
It is best to use freshly ground darker roast coffee for this recipe, preferably a coffee that is meant to be used for espresso. My personal favorite is Turbo Espresso from Propeller Coffee in Toronto.
- dark roast coffee
- ratio of 1:5 coffee to water (e.g. 10g coffee to 50g of water)
- grind settings slightly courser than espresso (14 clicks on Comandante c40)
- 93C filtered water
- Aeropress in inverted position
- 2 Aeropress filters rinsed
- add coffee to the Aeropress
- add water 2 to 3 times the amount of coffee (20g to 30g in this case)
- stir to soak all the coffee grounds
- let it bloom for 30 seconds
- quickly add remaining water (total of 50g)
- stir 10 times
- start timer
- add cap
- press excess air out
- at 30 seconds flip it over a cup
- gently swirl the aeropress
- press hard and fast
You can now enjoy this as is, or dilute it with some water to get an americano or add milk to make something like a cafe latte.